Has it really been a week since I updated?!?!? Good lord. Well, once I review the last week I think I’ll understand why and I’ll cut myself some slack.
Last Tuesday I went to the dermatologist because I have a patch of dry skin right above my lip that just will NOT go away no matter what. I researched it on the ‘net and that involved me going to WebMD and then of course I discovered I have basal cell carcinoma because that is what everything points to on the WebMD. But, naturally, it is simply a wee patch of eczema. No big deal, right? Until I get to the pharmacy and they want over TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS for the cream she prescribed. For this:
So I called and explained and then they prescribed me something that cost just under Five Dollars. Much better. Lord.
I also worked on Tuesday. And did the stairs, I think. Maybe? Who knows at this point. The stairs ain’t that important. What is important is that I went to the gym! And I did this stuff:
- Treadmill warm up, shoulder warm up
- Dumbbell squat and press. Holy moly! 3 sets, 15, with 12lb weight.
- Elbow incline bench plank single arm hold. Three sets of a 10 second hold on each arm.
- Dumbbell incline plank row on hand. 3 sets, 10, with 8lb weight.
- Kettlebell deadlift! I’ve achieved deadlift! 3 sets, 10, with a 35lb kettlebell.
- Step burpee with box jump. 3 sets of 10. Bupees remain something I do not like. My hiatal hernia, really. I wanna puke every time and I know it’s just that up and down bouncing around motion.
- Hand side steps. I think this was like a plank with my hands on the step and then I alternated putting one hand on the ground. Three sets of 10 on each hand, so 20 motions each set.
- I’m pretty sure we finished with back extensions but who the hell knows at this point. It’s not on the spreadsheet but I kinda recall thinking I did them twice in one week.
Then I left! I don’t remember what happened outside of that. That was almost a week ago. I feel like there was something I wanted to point out but….yeah. Gone.
Wednesday morning I woke up and discovered my cat had defecated in her kitty tree and then decided to just stay there with it. That was the sign I needed that it was time to say good-bye. She’s been sick for a while and I’ve been concerned that she wasn’t getting better and that she did not have a good quality of life but I’ve never had a cat so I had no real idea how to gauge. This? Was the gauge. This made it time. So I went to work and I sat on it for as long as I could until I had the strength to call and schedule the appointment. I have never had to do that. It was hard.
Then on my way home from work I stopped at my friend’s house to find out how to care for all her her animals while they were all out of town and one of them, too, is dying. So Wednesday just had a whole lot of sad. On top of all of that? My period arrived. So, I didn’t really do anything that evening in the way of exercise. I think I get a pass for that.
Thursday I went to work and the eye doctor. I found out I need to wear glasses while I’m on the computer. I picked out frames. They look like this:
So, yeah. This week was a week of me taking care of more of my body than my muscles and taking care of the various animals in my life.
Thursday I went to the gym. I told him I was a train wreck in my lower body and my mind. I explained about the kitty and the legs and he was all “why are your abs sore?” and I was all “they’re not” and gave him a patented Andrea look and he was all “Oh.” and off we went for the Thursday workout:
- treadmill warmup, shoulder warm up
- HS Chest Press. 4 sets! 15, no weight. 12, 10lbs. 10, 15lbs. 7, 20lbs. He would move in to help and I’d shoo him away. I’m getting good for that.
- Back extensions. 4 sets! First set was 10 with a 10lb weight. The next three were 12 with the 10lb weight.
- BM Rows. Three sets of 10. First set was with 50lbs and that was too easy so the next two sets was with 70lbs!
- BM Seated Machine Shoulder Press (wide). 3 sets, 10, 45lbs. I struggled with this amount of weight but dropping down would have been too easy. He has me do as many as I can on my own and then once he sees the motion stop he steps in. He is getting to where he doesn’t step in as soon as I struggle. He’s taught me how to push myself and I like that.
- Tricep cable rope pull downs. 3 sets, 10, 30lbs.
- Tricep cable rope overheads extensions. First, I hit myself on the head. Because of klutzy. Also? As he was showing me the move and how to do it I was watching him with this “Ummmmm…..suuuuuure” look on my face and one of the other trainers was watching me. That was awesome. So these were also 3 sets, 10, 30lbs.
- Dumbbell bicep curls. 3 sets, 10, 10lbs. Because my arms were dying at this point.
- Pushup pyramid on the incline smith. As he was explaining what I was going to do here I asked him if he’d ever watched “Arrow” and I told him about how Arrow does the pull ups on this thing and then throws himself and the bar UP to the next level without use of the ground and how the actor that plays Arrow indicated at ComiCon that, yes, in fact, he was really doing that. I asked Tyler if he could and he said he didn’t know, he’d never tried. And then we joked that was my next goal. But we both know the deal there. I did 3 sets of 10 pushups here.
Friday I went to work and who knows if I did the stairs or anything because Friday was the day I had to take my cat to the vet and say good-bye. The vet and the staff were amazing and made me feel so much better about my decision and it went as well as putting a pet to sleep can go and I said my good-byes and gave her love and asked for her kitty paw in clay to go with my dogs. Then I came home and gave Gladys the speech about staying healthy and with me for a long, long time.
Saturday I went to the pool store and bought a 40lb bucket of chlorine and felt so pumped up over deadlifts that I used it to do some more to get it from the car to the pool supply area in the back of the house.
Sunday I went to ballet gym and did the stretch and tone class and good lord! That instructor stretched and toned the shit outta my legs and hips. As I sit here typing this right now I am one sore mutha!
Then there was a hugemongous storm that blew through my neighborhood and I had to use a lot of energy to clean up the pool.
Then I went to sleep because I was physically and emotionally tired.
I woke up this morning to discover that all of my hard work was mostly for naught because another storm went through the area and there was more eucalyptus in the pool. Fun stuff.
I did the stairs at work. I cleaned the pool. I cleaned the patio a wee bit. I made spaghetti and added vegetables to the sauce. I did my shoulder stretches. I did a workout that the PumpUp app put together for me. And then I sat down to type this.
And now I should go to sleep. Because of that tired thing.